Updated: Sep 11, 2018
For parents who are unsure of their child’s current sleep rules and routine, here we share with you some of the effective rules of sleep for your guidance.
Truthfully, there are no specific rules for sleeping. Each child is unique, and if your current sleep rules and routine are working for you, then you are fine.
Here are some rules to guide you & your beloved child :)
1. Naps are good, but not excessive sleep. Avoid encouraging your child of extra sleep. It is permissible for us to sleep both at night and during the day. However, Allah has created the day for us to seek provision, and has created the night for rest.
“And among His signs is your sleep by night and by day, and your seeking His bounty. Verily, in that are indeed signs for people who listen” – (Surah Ar-Rum:23)
Remember, excessive sleep will lead to lethargy and laziness!
2. No soft mattresses. A mattress too soft will negatively affect your child’s organs, limbs and overall growth – preventing the child to grow healthy and strong. Islam encourages modesty in everything we do, so choose your mattresses wisely.
3. Teamwork is compulsory. Discuss and strategize your child’s sleep routine with your spouse, and make sure the whole family cooperates and adheres to the sleeping rules that you have created.
4. Include your child. Sit down with your toddler and let your child know about your bedtime plans. In shaa Allah this will help them better understand the rules and routine and encourages them to cooperate.
5. Set your times. It is important that you align you and your child’s sleep and wake up times according to your family’s needs and schedule.
6. Dress for bed. Changing your child’s regular clothing to simpler bedtime clothes or pyjamas every time before bedtime will remind your child that it is time for sleep. Cloth your child with comfortable clothes, suitable for bed and the room temperature in order to ensure good, uninterupted sleep.
7. Consistency.Stick to your plans. To ensure the success of a good night’s sleep, discipline yourselves by obeying the sleep rules and routine that you have worked on.
Good sleep is important and powerful. For you & your family. Start improving today!
Mumtaz Generation Inspire